Applying patches on WebLogic Server using Oracle Smart Update(BSU)
December 29, 2010
Oracle provides the Smart Update utility to apply patches and upgrade the WebLogic Server installations. Oracle’s Weblogic Server is now a critical component of Fusion Middleware and every other component of Fusion Middleware requires Weblogic Server to be installed as a pre-requisite. Applying patches and upgrading Weblogic Server is quite straight forward using the Oracle’s Smart Update utility,the documentation for Oracle Smart Update Utility can be found here
1. Shutdown and take a complete backup of the WLS environment.
The Startup/Shutdown scripts are placed in $WLS_HOME/user_projects/domains/<domain_name>/bin
2. The Oracle Smart Update Tool is located at “$WLS_HOME/utils/bsu“
3. Launch the the Oracle Smart Update Tool :
4. Once logged in, you will be presented with Oracle Smart Update Dialog.
5. You can choose to “Register for security updates”, this is usually helpful to keep yourself updated with the latest security updates and product expiration.
7. On the left pane you would see Weblogic Servers installed and on the right pane you will see two tabs. “Get Patches” and “Manage Patches” and a section to show the downloaded patches.
8. Now select the patches and hit the “Download Selected” button, you will be prompted if you wish to to validate and resolve conflicts.
9. The Validation completes with the following message:
11. Once the patches are downloaded and click the “Manage Patches” tab to proceed with the patch application. In the “Downloaded Patches” section you will notice the patches downloaded, click the “up” arrow to apply the patch
12. You will be prompted with couple of prompts for you to take action:
13. Once more the validation is done, click “OK” to proceed
14. One more “Are you sure?” prompt, annoying I know :). Click “Proceed” to apply the patch
Thats it the patch is now applied. If you face any issues its worth investigating the server logs.